Thursday, April 30, 2009

April 30th, 2009

Now it’s almost May.
The sun sheds warmth
as well as light
and the back yard has been
returned by whatever snow
or winter god held it
hostage for five months.
The grackles have finished
nesting and falling down
the chimney, to be liberated,
as though I’m fishing – hook
and release. And perhaps I am
casting a line and hook
into the returning warm days –
into late evenings, into the eye
of growth and regeneration –
a flat denial that I’m
getting older, slowing down,
anticipating the day when
the world dances by
my chair at a window.

(This is the last day of April and the end of poetry month for this year. I've enjoyed trying to write a poem of some sort every day of this month. A certain level of enthusiasm for writing has returned and I hope to write more consistently and with a greater care for the craft, during the rest of the year.)

1 comment:

Aisha said...

You said;
(This is the last day of April and the end of poetry month for this year. I've enjoyed trying to write a poem of some sort every day of this month. A certain level of enthusiasm for writing has returned and I hope to write more consistently and with a greater care for the craft, during the rest of the year.)

I said:

Amen!