Wednesday, May 21, 2008

How Many Sides Does an Argument Have?


With music, the first bad note comes just before the certainty the sheet music is correct and my eyes can see direction in a dot.

How could that certainty exist when I never play a song the same way twice? And the tepid air in my room never pushes the keyboard’s sound to the same places each time I sit down to play a tune.

In poetry, each revision is a new poem, or a lost poem I thought I’d found, as though I hear a voice I’ve heard before – a voice I can’t associate with a conversation I’m certain we’ve had.

In the same way, you and I are a daily recreation, though so many parts seem not to have changed since we first met. And the arguments remain the same – drum breaks between the violins.

2 comments:

C. said...

Drum breaks between violins--I find this incredibly complicated, a strange and unique piece--as a life should be.

hwf said...

Thanks C,

I try to keep writing about things.

H.